The U.S. has got the incarceration rate that is highest of every nation on earth, with more than 2.4 million individuals presently behind bars. The indegent and individuals of color are incarcerated at greatly rates that are disproportionate. Numerous prisoners take place in solitary confinement or rejected sufficient care that is medical academic possibilities, and few resources are committed to reentry or community programs.
AFSC works to end mass incarceration, enhance conditions for those who come in prison, stop jail privatization, and promote a reconciliation and approach that is healing unlawful justice dilemmas.
AFSC Friends Relations, in an attempt to produce a far more significant amount of engagement between Friends and AFSC, is piloting a course called Quaker personal Change Ministry to aid and facilitate Spirit-led, social justice operate in Quaker meetings/churches. The program is dependant on the job of Kelly Dignan, Kierstin Homblette, and Deborah Holder, three Unitarian Ministers into the Denver area whom created this model to aid congregations doing effective social modification ministry.
Please fill away a pursuit type to find out more about this system.
1. Teach yourselves about mass incarceration
About the problem of mass incarceration whether you have direct experience or not, get background information, and educate yourselves.
– begin a unique Jim Crow reading group utilizing this research guide
– Start a Beyond Prisons study group making use of the study guide
– pay attention to Laura Magnani, Director of AFSCв??s Bay region Healing Justice Program in California, describe her experiences in the mediation group for hunger strikers at Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City, California and exactly why Quakers have to take an active part in closing mass incarceration. You’ll pay attention to the recording that is full of Call for Spirited Action by clicking right right here.
– tune in to Dominque Stevenson, Program Director for AFSC’s buddy of a pal program, describe the job of buddy of a buddy and just how that system is handling the requirements of predominantly black communities in gay menchats Baltimore which can be greatly influenced by mass incarceration, hunger, and poverty. You are able to tune in to the recording that is full of Call for Spirited Action by clicking here.
– Watch exactly just How Quakers Can Really Help End Mass Incarceration, a QuakerSpeak video, and share it together with your companies.
2. Ensure you get your congregation within the jail walls
Learning and working with those most influenced by the unlawful justice system will alter you. You can easily volunteer at a prison that is federal Prisoner and Visitation help.
Take part in Alternatives to Violence programs in prisons. All of them are within the nation and numerous Quakers congregations are included. Discover more right here.
Write frequently to a person that is incarcerated. Pen pals may be a vital website link for those under correctional control. Write a Prisoner has listings of incarcerated women and men through the usa looking for pen pals. Human Rights Pen Pals links community people with individuals in long haul isolation.
As soon as your meeting/church has built connection with individuals in jail, you could begin to inquire about some certain questions regarding what type of training, support, volunteer/prisoner-run programs they need help arranging in.
To obtain your system from the ground, recruit volunteers who will be dedicated to having a consistent, devoted existence in.
Your congregation could work on having a scheduled system curriculum in coordination with people residing in, or beginning a worship team inside if individuals inside demand one. In the event that you instruct advanced schooling, have a go at Inside Out.
Michigan and ny staff could offer guidance centered on state particular experience if you may need assistance.
3. Lift up mass incarceration issues inside your community
You will become an outside monitor of prison conditions and problems as you bear witness to prison conditions and realities. Fundamentally, your congregation can build out of this experience to produce methods to manage these problems. In case the congregation is dealing with one or more or two different people, you may find out styles in issues.
You will need to develop relationships with legislators, ombudspeople, and modifications administrators whom could possibly stop the dilemmas before they escalate.
Our company is thrilled to consult about how to deal with prisoner liberties situations which will surface (access to appropriate medical care, psychological state care, use of parole, use of development and training, use of visits, over-classification like the usage of solitary confinement, meals quality, an such like).
4. Offer help to prisonersв?? families and individuals coming back from jail
Being a mentor towards the son or daughter of a person located in jail or a helper to someone reentering your community from jail, you can:
– Meet for a regular or meal that is monthly
– offer transportation to college or work
– assistance with college applications/enrollment
– help with employment search
– Rent an area (lease may be things that are many work and/or money exchanged)
See healingcommunitiesusa.org for any other resources which may be helpful in using the services of people re-entering the city.
5. Challenge key peopleв?”including your legislators
Every one of the above are governmental actions, you could be straight connected to campaigns that are ongoing communities through the nation.
Anti-privatization of prisons work with Arizona and brand New Hampshire.
Anti-solitary confinement operate in different states through the nation: Illinois, nj-new jersey, Ca, ny Arizona, Maine, and Michigan.
Follow Solitary Watch for up-to-date information.
Get the annually Meeting or Quarterly fulfilling to build up a declaration or moment against jail and detention center privatization, solitary confinement and torture, and/or other unlawful justice associated dilemmas.
Your congregation may also find out more about the Doctrine of Christian Discovery (DOCD), which can be the number of documents that underpinned genocide of Native Us americans, enslavement of blacks, the Law of Nations, Manifest Destiny, and also the post-Civil War building for the carceral system, which is the backbone of Federal Indian Law.
You can easily learn toward prospective repudiation of DOCD. Brand brand New England Yearly Meeting and AFSC staff in Maine can respond to inquiries about that.